USC University of Southern California Schedule of Classes

Registration Instructions

1. Obtain Registration Appointment Time

Registration appointment times and permit to register information are available on myUSC, Web Registration and OASIS. Select “Permit to Register” in OASIS to find your appointment time. If you do not have a registration appointment time please contact the Registration Department by email at or by phone at (213) 740-8500.

Web Registration is available to all or most continuing, newly-admitted or returning students (see Web Registration Instructions). Only students who, due to certain activity restrictions, may not use the automated registration system should proceed to the Registration Building to process enrollment in person. Limited, non-admitted students must register for classes in person at the Registration Building.

International Students

Admitted and Continuing Students
Report to Student Union 300 with passport to obtain International Student Clearance.

Non-Admitted (Limited Status) Students
International students (and all students on non-resident visas) intending to register as Limited Status students should report to the Registration Building, Thursday, November 19, where they will pick up the Limited Status Student Registration Form. They will then be directed to other USC offices to obtain necessary approvals to register. All such students must bring their passports, and students on F-1 visas must also bring a letter from the foreign student advisor at their host institution permitting them to concurrently register at USC. For further information, call the International Admissions Office at (213) 740-1111.

Newly Admitted and Returning Students
Report to the Registration Building to obtain a Permit to Register.

Permanent Residents and United States Citizens

Non-Admitted (Limited Status) Students
Students who have not been admitted and have never attended the university should report to the Registration Building if they wish to register for classes at USC without having been formally admitted to USC. Students will receive registration materials and be directed to other appropriate offices to obtain departmental approvals if necessary. Limited status students who are enrolled in the fall 2009 semester may register any time beginning November 19. They should go directly to the Registration Lobby to obtain limited status student registration materials. Those wishing to enroll as limited status students in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering Distance Education Network should visit for information and to determine eligibility.

Undergraduate non-admitted limited status students must settle their tuition and fees on the same day they register for classes or their enrollment will be cancelled by the Registration Department. This policy does not apply to USC staff and faculty. For further information, contact the Registration Department at (213) 740-8500.

2. Correct or Confirm Your Address

Before you attempt to register for classes, please correct your address or confirm that it is correct. Visit OASIS (myUSC or ), select the change of address service and correct or confirm your address.

3. Meet with Your Academic Advisor to Plan Your Schedule, if Necessary

Academic Advisement

Your advisor can assist you with the selection of courses, D-class clearances and procedures for registration. Please contact your department or school for the appropriate academic advisor. See Academic Advisors for a current listing.

Choosing Your Courses

For convenience, a Class Schedule Worksheet and an automated scheduler feature is available on the Web Registration site at A Final Examinations Schedule Worksheet is provided to help you plan your schedule and to avoid time conflicts during final exams.

4. Contact Your Department and Arrange for “D” Clearance and/or Prerequisite Waivers

Classification and Numbering of Courses

The first digit of the course number indicates the year level of the course: 000 – preparatory courses, 100 – first undergraduate year, 200 – second undergraduate year, 300 – third and fourth undergraduate years without graduate credit, 400 – third and fourth undergraduate years with graduate credit for graduate students, 500 – first graduate year, 600 – second graduate year, 700 – third graduate year.

The lower case letters ab, abcd, etc., indicate the semesters of a course more than one semester in length. In such courses the a semester is usually prerequisite to the b semester, and so on. Capital L indicates that all or part of the work is supervised laboratory or other work. Courses designated x are restricted in some manner. The course description will specify the restriction. Courses designated with a z are for repeated registrations for 0 credit, for which two units of tuition are charged.

Undergraduates are expected to give priority to courses that fulfill the general lower-division requirements. It is recommended that students register in courses appropriate to their academic standing – lower-division students in courses below 300, upper-division students in courses below 500, graduate students in courses numbered 400 or higher.

The following are not available for graduate credit: courses numbered 00-399, courses designated g (general education), Senior Seminar courses, courses designated x where the description specifically excludes graduate credit.

Diversity Requirement Courses

Courses with a lower case m for multiculturalism following the course number have been approved for credit in fulfilling the university diversity requirement.

Preparatory Courses

Preparatory courses (courses numbered below 100) impart the minimum skills required for college-level work. Students completing preparatory course work may receive unit credit, but do not receive degree credit.

“D” and “R” Designations

Class numbers with an “R” designation are restricted by the size of the classroom. “D” classes are restricted by the department offering the course and require the student to obtain “D” class assignments from the home department prior to registering. Departments reserve the right to change class sections from “R” to “D” at any time. The following schools or departments change all of their “R” classes to “D” on the first day of classes: American Studies, Arts and Letters, all undergraduate Business classes, Economics, English and Mathematics.

5. Clear Any Restrictions Indicated on the Permit to Register

If you have an Activity/Restriction assigned to your record (including any mandatory advisement requirement), it must be removed or cleared with the appropriate office. Activity restrictions prohibit total use of the automated enrollment process.

Activity Restrictions

Academic Advisement Requirement (see the department of your major)

Academic Review/Disqualification, Hubbard Hall 113, (213) 740-7741

Admission, Trojan Residence Hall 101, or home department (graduate or international) (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

American Language Institute, Jefferson Building 206, (213) 740-0079

Collection Restriction, University Collections, Parking Structure B, (213) 740-9087

College Advisement Office, College Academic Services Building, 3454 Trousdale Parkway, Suite 120, (213) 740-2534

Degree Verification, Hubbard Hall 010, (213) 740-7445

Graduate School, Grace Ford Salvatori Hall 315, (213) 740-9033

USC Housing/Residence Halls, Parking Structure C, 620 W. 35th St., (213) 740-2546

*International Students, Student Union 300, (213) 740-2666

Leave of Absence (see the department of your major)

Library Hold (see appropriate library)

Probation/Academic Review, Hubbard Hall 113, 740-7741

Registrar, Office of Academic Records and Registrar, Hubbard Hall 104 (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

Structured Curriculum Program, Student Union 301, (213) 740-0776

Student Affairs, Student Union 201, 740-2421

Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards, Figueroa Building 107, (213) 821-7373

Student Financial Services (loan restrictions), Hall Building 1st Floor, (213) 740-4077

**Student Health Center 100, (213) 740-5344

Writing Program, Music Practice and Instructional Center 208, (213) 740-1980

*Office of International Services, Student Union 300
All international students must obtain clearance from the Office of International Services in order to drop courses. The Citizenship and Immigration Service requires foreign students to take a minimum of 12 units as undergraduates, 8 units as master’s degree students and 6 units as doctoral students or a research or teaching assistant.

**Student Health Center 100
Mandatory Measles Immunization: All students not previously cleared by the Student Health Center will be required to show proof of immunity before registration is permitted. All students must comply with this university policy. One of the following proofs of immune status must be brought to the Student Health Center:

  • A photocopy of your medical record card documenting the month and year of immunization;
  • A photocopy of your medical record documenting having had the disease or a vaccination;
  • Proof of date of birth prior to 1957.

Tuberculosis Screening Requirement: All international students are required to be screened for tuberculosis prior to their first semester of enrollment at USC. See Tuberculosis Screening Requirement for further information.

6. Log in to Web Registration to Enroll in Classes or Change Program

Enrollment and Registration Confirmation Pickup – Registration Building

If you are unable to use Web Registration, report to this location. Present Permit to Register and Request for Student Program forms at this location.

Registration Confirmation Copies

All enrollment, tuition and fee information is available on OASIS by selecting the Registered Course List and services.

Change of Program (Withdraw and Add)

After registering for a course, it is your responsibility to withdraw officially from the course if you decide not to continue in it. Forms for withdrawing and/or adding courses are available in the Registration Building. You may also print copies from the registration Web site at

You can withdraw from a course without academic penalty during the first 12 weeks of the semester. Any course withdrawn between the fourth and 12th week of classes appears as mark of “W” on the academic transcript. No course may be withdrawn after the end of the 12th week. All such changes must be processed through Web Registration or the Registration Department. Failure to withdraw officially will result in the grade of “UW,” which is computed in the GPA as zero (0) grade points. See Change of Program/Petition Actions and Withdrawal/Tuition Refund Policy under Tuition and Fees for additional information.

Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing from courses in order to assess the potential effect on the student’s financial aid eligibility. Also, withdrawing and adding courses may cancel any financial aid deferment previously granted on a student’s account. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office to have the account re-deferred.

Note: No course may be added after January 29; this deadline will be strictly enforced.

7. Obtain USCard, Purchase Parking Permit and Other Services to be Added to Your Student Account

USCard –

Students may obtain a university identification card, complete with photo, by visiting USCard Services’ customer service counters located in PSX on the University Park campus or at One Stop Express in the Seaver Science building on the Health Sciences campus. Students are encouraged to submit a recent digital image through USCard’s Web site and pick up their ID card at the “will call” counter on campus.

Health Insurance–Student Health Insurance Office, 649 W. 34th Street (PSD)

See Tuition and Fees.

Housing–Parking Structure X (PSX)

You may complete an application, or find information regarding housing online at or in person at the Housing Services office in PSX on the ground floor. Students with restriction holds on their USC accounts for financial, academic or conduct issues may be unable to apply for housing. Please see the Cashier’s Office or your academic advisor, if necessary.

You may also contact Housing by email at or by phone at (800) 872-4632 or (213) 740-2546.

Parking Permits–PSX First Floor, 620 McCarthy Way

(213) 740-3575,

El Rodeo (Yearbook)

Students may pre-order/purchase copies of El Rodeo using either USCard discretionary or credit card through the yearbook Web site (

8. Obtain Health Insurance Waiver if Appropriate

Mandatory health insurance for students on the University Park campus may be waived if you can provide evidence of coverage that meets the university requirements under your own policy. See for more information.

9. Financial Aid Disbursement Requirements

Financial Aid applicants should satisfy all the disbursement requirements for each program early enough so that their funds will be available by the payment deadline, January 8, 2010. Visit for detailed information. Be sure to check your USC email account regularly for financial aid-related notices.

In general, most financial aid funds credit to student accounts within 10 days prior to the start of the semester for students who have met all disbursement requirements.

Financial Aid applicants who are unable to settle their bill by the payment deadline must contact the Financial Aid Office prior to the deadline. Visit for Financial Aid Office contact information.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships cover a specified amount of tuition plus health center, medical and dental insurance fees. You are responsible for paying any other charges by the settlement deadline.

If the tuition or health award does not appear on the registration confirmation, there are two possible reasons:

  • You are registered in less than six graduate units for credit. Graduate assistants must be registered for a minimum of six graduate units for credit. Graduate Assistant awards will not pay for courses taken for audit; or
  • The department has not yet entered the award on the Student Information System. If this is the case, contact the department offering you the graduate assistant position as soon as possible.

10. Federal Perkins Loan, HPSL, LDS, PCL and Institutional Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Perkins Loan, and you are a new borrower at USC, instructions for completing a Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note electronically will be sent to your USC email address prior to the beginning of the academic year. If you have signed a Federal Perkins Loan master promissory note in a previous term, you have already authorized the university to disburse additional funds, and you do not need to sign another promissory note.

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), Loan for Disadvantaged Students, Primary Care Loan or institutional loan, the Student Financial Services Office will mail you a promissory note to complete and return prior to the start of each semester. Borrowers who did not receive promissory note packets by mail may obtain them in person at the Student Financial Services Office (refer to map for location) at the start of each semester.

11. Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of funds.

12. Graduate Students: Complete Necessary Steps for Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

If you are borrowing a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, be sure to complete all steps at

13. Undergraduates: Ensure Parents Complete Necessary Steps for Federal Parent PLUS Loan

If your parent is borrowing a Federal Parent PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, be sure he/she completes all of the steps at

14. Apply for USC Payment Plan or Tuition Reimbursement Deferment at Student Financial Services

The USC Payment Plan allows you to divide your tuition and fees over five monthly payments for one semester. Payments for the spring semester will start January 1, 2010. The Payment Plan does not charge interest but there is an application fee to participate. Plan information and application forms are available on the Student Financial Services Web site, For additional information, contact Student Financial Services at (213) 740-4077. You may access the Payment Plan menu by logging in to OASIS and selecting "Payment Plan."

Tuition Reimbursement Deferment

In order to participate in the program you must have your supervisor or personnel officer write a memo on company stationery stating that you are employed by that company and will be reimbursed for tuition at the end of the term. A NEW LETTER IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEMESTER.

You are required to pay 25 percent of your tuition PLUS 100 percent of all fees, including lab fees, plus a non-refundable service charge of four percent of the deferment amount. The balance of your tuition will be deferred until April 25, 2010. Interest is not charged during the deferment period. If your account is not paid when due, it will be subject to additional finance charges.

You will be required to sign a promissory note in order to receive the deferment. If you do not pay for the deferment by the due date, collection efforts will proceed against YOU, NOT YOUR EMPLOYER. Failure to complete the class or your termination from the company from which you expect to receive tuition reimbursement in no way nullifies this agreement. You are responsible for paying the deferment regardless of your grade(s) or employment status.

15. Settle Your Bill (Cashier’s Office)

Important Dates and Information

January 8, 2010, 5 p.m. – Settlement deadline. All students must register and settle their bills entirely by this date and time to avoid late fees.

January 29, 2010 – Last day to withdraw a class with refund. Last day to purchase or waive health insurance. Last day to purchase or waive tuition refund insurance.

April 25, 2010 – Tuition Reimbursement Deferments expire. Payment is due May 25, 2009.

Note: USC discontinued mailing printed monthly billing statements to students effective spring 2008. Students must use to review their monthly statements. For more information, visit

You may pay your bill via the Internet (, by phone (TIPS), by mail or in person. If you are paying by mail, be sure to mail your payment early enough for the university to receive it by the settlement deadline. allows you to manage your student account online. You can pay your tuition and fees by transferring funds from your savings or checking account, or by charging to your American Express, VISA, MasterCard or Discover card. You can also print e-receipts and view your billing statements or current account information. In addition, you can set up individual guest user access for parents or anyone else you choose so they can make payments on your account. For more information, visit To access your account, log in to OASIS ( or MyUSC ( and select the link.

For account balance information and payment by telephone call TIPS (Touch-Tone Inquiry & Payment System) at (213) 740-7471. Outside the Southern California area call (800) 225-1222. TIPS accepts payments by American Express, VISA, MasterCard and Discover. Sorry, TIPS cannot accept checking/savings transfers.

More detailed information about student accounts, settlement options and procedures is available on the Web at

During peak registration periods, the Cashier’s Office, Student Financial Services and Collections relocate to a central location to provide one-stop service to students. Visit for more information.

American Express, VISA, MasterCard and Discover Card

You should present the credit card (and parent’s written authorization if the card is not in your name), as well as a valid driver’s license. Presentation of any credit card does not constitute payment of tuition and fees. Authorization must be obtained from the credit card institution in order to be posted to the student account. Declined authorizations are your responsibility. See Late Fees and Billing Information.

Tuition Prepayment Program (TPP)

This option offers individuals the opportunity to stabilize tuition costs by avoiding future tuition increases. Under this plan, the university will accept the prepayment of the student’s total USC tuition plus mandatory fees at the current tuition rate for up to the next four to five years. For further information, contact Student Financial Services, (213) 740-4077, or visit us at and select payment options. The student must be admitted to the university before a tuition prepayment account may be established.

Cashier’s Short Term Deferment

Thirty day deferments are granted for up to $2,000 of the tuition balance. You must take three or more units (or the equivalent) to receive any type of deferment. There is a non-refundable service charge of five percent of the deferred amount, due at the time the deferment is granted, in addition to the remaining billing balance.

The number of units for which tuition is charged is generally the same as the number of academic units indicated after each course in the Schedule of Classes. However, some courses with no academic credit require payment of tuition. Most classes with course numbers ending in z (e.g., 594z and 794z) require two units of tuition. GRSC 800 and GRSC 810 each require one unit of tuition.

In sessions offering different tuition rates or mandatory fees for undergraduate and graduate students, the student’s Program of Study (POST) will determine the tuition rate and fees to be charged. Students with more than one active POST will be charged as undergraduate students if at least one POST is designated as undergraduate.


If you have a credit balance on your account, you may be eligible for a refund. If the credit balance is the result of a credit card payment combined with reduced charges and/or financial aid or loan advances, we will first refund the credit card used for payment up to the amount that was charged. Any credit balance remaining after that can be refunded to you by check (mailed to you) or direct deposit at your request. Please visit for more information and forms.

If you are on the USC Payment Plan, you are not eligible for a refund while you're making payments through the Payment Plan. You will have to adjust your payment plan budget amount to reduce/eliminate the credit balance. Please visit for more information and forms.