Registration Basic Steps and Instructions

Basic Steps

1. Obtain your registration appointment time on myUSC.

2. Correct or confirm your address and make any necessary changes before attempting to register for classes. You can access your address record through OASIS.

3. Meet with your academic adviser to plan your schedule, if necessary.

4. Contact your department and arrange for “D” clearance and/or prerequisite waivers.

5. Clear any restrictions indicated on the Permit to Register, including any mandatory advisement requirement.

6. Log in to myUSC and click on Web Registration to enroll in classes or make changes to your schedule.

7. Purchase USCard credits, parking permit and any other services to be charged to your student account.

8. Obtain waiver of health insurance, if necessary.

9. Log in to your Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST) page to determine the status of your financial aid or to review your Financial Aid Summary.

10. If your financial aid eligibility includes Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans, and you wish to borrow from these programs, complete the application steps detailed at

11. E-sign your Promissory Note for Perkins Loans, HPSL, LDS, PCL and/or USC institutional loans, by visiting the Student Financial Services Website.

12. Graduate students: Complete the necessary steps to apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, listed at if you wish to borrow from this programs.

13. Undergraduates: Ensure your parents complete the necessary steps to apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan at if they want to borrow from this program.

14. Apply for the USC Payment Plan or Tuition Reimbursement Deferment at Student Financial Services. Visit

15. Settle your bill with the Cashier’s Office. All students must register and settle their bills entirely by the settlement deadline to avoid late fees.

Note: Planning your schedule but failing to register for any courses before the tuition and fees payment deadline is not a valid reason to request a waiver of the late registration fee.

Registration Instructions

1. Obtain Your Registration Appointment Time

Registration appointment times and permit to register information are available on myUSC. If you do not have a registration appointment time please contact the Registrar One Stop Center.

Web Registration is available to most continuing, newly admitted or returning students. Only students who, due to certain activity restrictions, may not use Web Registration should proceed to the lobby of John Hubbard Hall to process enrollment in person. Limited, non-admitted students must register for classes in person at the lobby of John Hubbard Hall.

International Students

Admitted and Continuing Students

All new international students must complete Passport Verification (PPV) upon arrival at USC. Register for PPV online here.

Non-Admitted Students

International students intending to register as Limited Status students should contact the Registrar One Stop Center to inquire about taking classes at USC. Limited Status students must present their passports to the Office of International Services prior to registration. If the student holds an F-1 visa, a letter from the international student adviser at the student’s host institution permitting the student to concurrently register at USC is also required.

Newly Admitted and Returning Students

New undergraduate students register for classes during orientation. To sign up for new student orientation, please contact Orientation Programs at (213) 740-7767.

New graduate students should contact their academic advisers to obtain advisement before registering for classes.

Returning students (absent one or more semesters from USC) should contact the Registrar One Stop Center to obtain a registration appointment.

Permanent Residents and United States Citizens

Non-Admitted (Limited Status) Students

Individuals who have not applied and have never attended USC, but wish to take a course at the university may contact the Registrar One Stop Center on or after April 20. More information about the limited status program is available at

Limited status students who are enrolled for fall 2017 semester may register any time beginning April 20. Contact the Registrar One Stop Center to obtain limited status student registration materials.

Individuals who wish to enroll as limited status students in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering Distance Education Network should visit for information and to determine eligibility.

2. Correct or Confirm Your Address

Before you attempt to register for classes, you should correct your address or confirm that it is correct in the university’s record system. Visit OASIS (myUSC), select the “Other Services” link and click on “Address Update.”

3. Meet with Your Academic Adviser to Plan Your Schedule

Your adviser can assist you with the selection of courses, D-class clearances and procedures for registration. Please contact your department or school for the appropriate academic adviser. See Academic Advisers for a current listing.

Choose Your Courses

Use Web Registration (on myUSC) to plan your fall course schedule.

4. Contact Your Department and Arrange for “D” Clearance and/or Prerequisite Waivers

Classification and Numbering of Courses

The first digit of the course number indicates the year level of the course: 000 – preparatory courses, 100 – first undergraduate year, 200 – second undergraduate year, 300 – third and fourth undergraduate years without graduate credit, 400 – third and fourth undergraduate years with graduate credit for graduate students, 500 – first graduate year, 600 – second graduate year, 700 – third graduate year.

The lower case letters ab, abcd, etc., indicate the semesters of a course more than one semester in length. In such courses the a semester is usually prerequisite to the b semester, and so on. Capital L indicates that all or part of the work is supervised laboratory or other work. Courses designated x are restricted in some manner. The course description will specify the restriction. Courses designated with a z are for repeated registrations for 0 credit, for which 2 units of tuition are charged.

Undergraduates are expected to give priority to courses that fulfill the general lower-division requirements. It is recommended that students register in courses appropriate to their academic standing – lower-division students in courses below 300, upper-division students in courses below 500, graduate students in courses numbered 400 or higher.

The following are not available for graduate credit: courses numbered 00-399, courses designated g (general education), Senior Seminar courses, courses designated x where the description specifically excludes graduate credit.

Diversity Requirement Courses

Courses with a lower case m for multiculturalism following the course number have been approved for credit in fulfilling the university diversity requirement.

Preparatory Courses

Preparatory courses (courses numbered below 100) impart the minimum skills required for college-level work. Students completing preparatory course work may receive unit credit, but do not receive degree credit.

“D” and “R” Designations

Class numbers with an “R” designation are restricted by the size of the classroom. “D” classes are restricted by the department offering the course and require the student to obtain “D” class assignments from the home department prior to registering. Departments reserve the right to change class sections from “R” to “D” at any time.

5. Clear Any Restrictions Indicated on the Permit to Register

A university office may place a registration restriction on a student’s account if the student has a pending obligation with the office. You should clear any restriction that prohibits registration before your registration appointment. You will not be allowed to register until advisement requirements are cleared.

Activity Restrictions

Academic Advisement Requirement (see the department of your major)

Academic Review/Disqualification, Figueroa Building 107, (213) 740-1196

Admission, Ronald Tutor Campus Center 202, or home department (graduate or international) (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

American Language Institute, Parking Structure D 106, (213) 740-0079

Collection Restriction, University Collections, Parking Structure B, (213) 740-9087

Dornsife College Advising Office, Grace Ford Salvatori Hall 320, (213) 740-2534

**Engemann Student Health Center, (213) 740-9355

Graduate School, Student Union 301, (213) 740-9033

USC Housing/Residence Halls, Parking Structure X, 620 USC McCarthy Way, (213) 740-2546

*International Students, 649 West 34th Street (PSD 101), (213) 740-2666

Leave of Absence (see the department of your major)

Library Hold (see appropriate library)

Probation/Academic Review, Figueroa Building 107, 740-1196

Registrar, Office of Academic Records and Registrar, lobby of John Hubbard Hall (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

Student Affairs, Student Union 201, 740-2421

Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards, Student Union 206, (213) 821-7373

Student Financial Services (loan restrictions), Parking Structure B, (213) 740-4077

Transcripts and Verifications, lobby of John Hubbard Hall, (213) 740-7445

Writing Program, Jefferson Building 150, (213) 740-1980

*Office of International Services, 649 West 34th Street (PSD) Suite 101, (213) 740-2666

All international students must obtain clearance from the Office of International Services in order to drop below full-time enrollment. International students are required to register in a minimum of 12 units as undergraduates, 8 units as master’s degree students and 6 units as doctoral students or a research or teaching assistant.

**Engemann Student Health Center

Mandatory Measles and Mumps Immunization Policy: The university requires all students to show proof of measles and mumps immunity prior to registering for classes.

Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening Policy: All International Students are required to be screened for tuberculosis in the United States or Canada within six months prior to their first semester of enrollment at USC.

Please fax or email all screening/immunization documents to (213) 821-2740

For more information, visit

6. Log in to Web Registration to Enroll in Classes or Change Program

In-person Registration

If you are unable to use Web Registration, contact the Registrar One Stop Center.

Registration Confirmation Copies

All enrollment, tuition and fee information is available on OASIS by selecting the Registered Course List and services. The official Registration Confirmation is only available as a hard copy in the lobby of John Hubbard Hall.

Change of Schedule (Withdraw and Add)

After registering for a course, it is a student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from the course if he/she decides not to continue in it. Students should use Web Registration to drop or add courses. Forms for withdrawing and/or adding courses are available in the lobby of John Hubbard Hall. Students may also print forms from the registration Website.

Students can withdraw from a course without academic penalty up until the 80 percent mark of a session. No course may be withdrawn after the 80 percent mark. A course dropped up to 45 percent into the session in which the course is offered, will not appear on the official transcript with a mark of “W”. For example, a course in session 001 can be withdrawn through October 6, 2017 without the mark of “W” appearing on the official transcript. A refund is not applied in this instance. For the specific deadline to change the grade options, click the Calendar icon next to the course on the Schedule of Classes. All schedule changes must be processed through Web Registration or the Registrar One Stop Center. Failure to withdraw officially will result in the grade of “UW,” which is computed in the GPA as zero (0) grade points. See Change of Program/Petition Actions and Withdrawal/Tuition Refund Policy under Tuition and Fees for additional information.

Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing from courses in order to assess the potential effect on the student’s financial aid eligibility. Also, withdrawing and adding courses may cancel any financial aid deferment previously granted on a student’s account. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office to have the account re-deferred.

Note: No course may be added after September 8, 2017; this deadline will be strictly enforced.

7. Purchase USCard, Parking Permit and Other Services to be Charged to Your Student Account

USCard –

Get your USCard student ID by visiting and submitting your image online. You will pick up your ID at one of the USCard customer service centers, located in Parking Structure X (PSX) on the University Park Campus or in the Seaver Residence Hall (SRH) lobby on the Health Sciences Campus.

USCard can be used at USC Hospitality locations, USC Bookstores, all print and copy locations across campus, most vending machines on campus, parking gates and more.

On the USCard Website, you can change your meal plan, replace your ID, deposit money using your credit card and register your card. To manage your account, click “Student Login” and follow the prompts. From there you can deposit money using your student billing account, set up guest access and suspend/reinstate your card if you think you’ve lost it.

For more information, call (213) 740-8709, email or visit

Health Insurance – Student Health Insurance Office, Engemann Student Health Center, 1031 W. 34th Street, Lower Level

See Tuition and Fees.

Housing–Parking Structure X (PSX)

You may complete an application, or find information regarding housing online at or in person at the Housing Services office in PSX on the ground floor. Students with restriction holds on their USC accounts for financial, academic or conduct issues may be unable to apply for housing. Please see the Cashier’s Office or your academic adviser, if necessary.

You may also contact Housing by email at or by phone at (800) 872-4632 or (213) 740-2546.

Parking Permits at USC – PSX First Floor, 620 McCarthy Way

(213) 740-3575,

USC Transportation issues parking permits for on-campus lots and structures.
Contact the USC Transportation Office for the most current pricing.

El Rodeo (Yearbook)

Students may pre-order/purchase copies of El Rodeo using either USCard discretionary or credit card through the yearbook Website.
Graduate portraits are taken each fall, and available to any student completing his or her degree program. See the yearbook Website for information and to schedule an appointment:

8. Obtain Health Insurance Waiver if Necessary

Mandatory health insurance for students on the University Park Campus may be waived if documented proof of health coverage from another plan is presented that meets all waiver requirements. The waiver must be submitted using the online waiver program by the deadline date. See for more information.

9. Financial Aid Disbursement Requirements

Financial aid applicants should satisfy all the disbursement requirements for each program early enough to ensure their funds will be available by the payment deadline of August 18, 2017. Visit for detailed information.

Be sure to log in to your USC Financial Aid Summary and Tasks (FAST) page and your USC email account regularly to monitor your status and to check for any financial aid-related notices.

In general, for students who have met all disbursement requirements, most financial aid funds will be credited to student accounts 10 days prior to the start of the semester.

Graduate Assistantships

In addition to the paid stipend, graduate assistantships cover a specified amount of tuition plus health center, medical and dental insurance fees. You are responsible for paying any other charges by the settlement deadline.

There are two possible reasons tuition or health-related awards may not appear on the registration confirmation:

  • You are not registered for at least 6 graduate units of credit or in a course that confers full-time status (such as GRSC 800 or a 794a-z course). Graduate assistants must be registered for GRSC 800 or a 794a-z course, or a minimum of 6 graduate units for credit.
  • The department has not yet entered the health-related award or the tuition in the Student Information System (SIS). In this case, please contact the department offering you the graduate assistant position as soon as possible.

Please contact your academic department directly if you experience any difficulties with your assistantship.

10. Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds.

11. Federal Perkins Loans, HPSL, LDS, PCL and Institutional Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Perkins Loan, Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), Loan for Disadvantaged Students (LDS), Primary Care Loan (PCL) or a USC institutional loan, you will receive instructions for completing a Master Promissory Note electronically at your USC email address prior to the beginning of the academic year. A new promissory note is required every academic year for HPSL, LDS, PCL and USC loans. You will receive an email notification from Heartland/ECSI at the start of each academic year.

If you have any questions regarding these loans, please call the Student Financial Services Office at (213) 740-4077.

12. Graduate Students: Complete Necessary Steps to Apply for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

If you are borrowing a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds. USC processes a separate PLUS loan for each enrolled term. If you wish to borrow the PLUS loan for multiple terms, please submit a separate application for each term. Credit is checked once every 180 days for those with multiple applications.

13. Undergraduates: Ensure Parents Complete Necessary Steps to Apply for Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

If your parent is borrowing a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds. Credit is checked once every 180 days for those with multiple applications.

14. Apply for USC Payment Plan or Tuition Reimbursement Deferment at Student Financial Services

A new plan is required each term.

The USC Payment Plan allows you to divide your tuition and fees over five monthly payments for one semester. Payments for the fall semester will start August 3, 2017. The Payment Plan does not charge interest but there is an application fee to participate. Payment Plan information and application link are available on the Student Financial Services Website. For additional information, contact Student Financial Services at (213) 740-4077. You may access the Payment Plan menu by logging in to myUSC or OASIS and selecting “Payment Plan.” If you are a dental, MBM.PM or law student, visit our Website for specific payment plan information.

Tuition Reimbursement Deferment

In order to participate in the program you must have your supervisor or personnel officer write a memo on company stationery stating that you are employed by that company and will be reimbursed for tuition at the end of the term. A NEW LETTER IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEMESTER.

You are required to pay 25 percent of your tuition PLUS 100 percent of all fees, including lab fees, plus a non-refundable service charge of 4 percent of the deferment amount. The balance of your tuition will be deferred until January 25, 2018. Interest is not charged during the deferment period. If your account is not paid when due, it will be subject to additional finance charges.

You will be required to sign a promissory note in order to receive the deferment. If you do not pay for the deferment by the due date, collection efforts will proceed against YOU, NOT YOUR EMPLOYER. Failure to complete the class or your termination from the company from which you expect to receive tuition reimbursement in no way nullifies this agreement. You are responsible for paying the deferment regardless of your grade(s) or employment status.

15. Settle Your Bill (Cashier’s Office)

Important Dates and Information – please note that these dates apply only to sessions that begin on August 21 and end December 13, 2017

August 18, 2017, 5 p.m. – Settlement deadline. All students must register and settle their bills entirely by this date and time to avoid late fees.

September 8, 2017 – Last day to withdraw from classes with refund. Last day to purchase or waive health insurance. Last day to purchase or waive tuition refund insurance.

Note: USC does not mail printed monthly billing statements to students. Students must use to review their monthly statements. For more information, visit

You may pay your bill via the Internet (, by mail or in person. If you are paying by mail, be sure to mail your payment early enough for the university to receive it by the settlement deadline. allows you to manage your student account online. You can pay your tuition and fees by transferring funds from your savings or checking account, or by charging to your VISA, MasterCard or Discover card. You can also print e-receipts and view your billing statements or current account information. In addition, you can set up individual guest user access for parents or anyone else you choose so they can make payments on your account. For more information, visit To access your account, log in to myUSC ( and select the link.

For account information or inquiries, please call (213) 740-7471.

More detailed information about student accounts, settlement options and procedures is available on the Web at

VISA, MasterCard and Discover Card

You should present the credit card (and parent’s written authorization if the card is not in your name), as well as a valid driver’s license. Presentation of any credit card does not constitute payment of tuition and fees. Authorization must be obtained from the credit card institution in order to be posted to the student account. Declined authorizations are your responsibility. See Late Fees and Billing Information.

Credit cards must be used by the authorized signer on the bank card used for payment toward the university student account. If a bank card transaction is disallowed by the bank, the student account will be subject to the “Returned Item” penalties.

Tuition Prepayment Program (TPP)

This option offers individuals the opportunity to stabilize tuition costs by avoiding future tuition increases. Under this plan, the university will accept the prepayment of the student’s total USC tuition plus mandatory fees at the current tuition rate for up to the next four to five years. For further information, contact Student Financial Services, (213) 740-4077, or visit us at and select payment options. The student must be admitted to the university before a tuition prepayment account may be established.


If you have a credit balance on your account, you may be eligible for a refund. If the credit balance is the result of a credit card payment combined with reduced charges and/or financial aid or loan advances, we will first refund the credit card used for payment up to the amount that was charged. Any credit balance remaining after that can be refunded to you via direct deposit (eRefund). Please visit for more information and forms.

If you are on the USC Payment Plan, you are not eligible for a refund while you’re making payments through the Payment Plan. You will have to adjust your payment plan budget amount to reduce/eliminate the credit balance. Please visit for more information and forms.