Schedule of Classes Archive

Registration Instructions

1. Obtain Registration Appointment Time

Registration appointment times and permit to register information are available on myUSC, Web Registration and OASIS. Select “Permit to Register” in OASIS to find your appointment time. If you do not have a registration appointment time please contact the Registration Department by email at or by phone at (213) 740-8500.

Web Registration is available to all or most continuing, newly admitted or returning students (see Web Registration Instructions). Only students who, due to certain activity restrictions, may not use Web Registration should proceed to the Registration Building to process enrollment in person. Limited, non-admitted students must register for classes in person at the Registration Building.

International Students

Admitted and Continuing Students
Report to Student Union 300 with passport to obtain International Student Clearance.

Non-Admitted Students
International students (and all students on non-resident visas) intending to register as Limited Status students should contact the Registration Department ( to inquire about the possibility of taking classes at USC. Approval from the Office of International Services will be required prior to registering for any course. All such students must bring their passports, and students on F-1 visas must also bring a letter from the foreign student adviser at their host institution permitting them to concurrently register at USC. For further information, call the International Admissions Office at (213) 740-1111.

Newly Admitted and Returning Students
New undergraduate students register for classes during orientation. To sign up for new student orientation, please contact the Orientation Office at (213) 740-7767.

New graduate students should contact their academic advisers to obtain advisement before registering for classes.

Returning students (absent one or more semesters from USC) should contact the Registration Department to obtain a registration appointment.

Permanent Residents and United States Citizens

Non-Admitted (Limited Status) Students

Individuals who have not applied and have never attended USC, but wish to take a course at the university may report to the Registration Building on or after April 24. More information about the limited status program is available at

Limited status students who are enrolled in the fall 2012 semester may register any time beginning April 24. Report directly to the Registration Lobby to obtain limited status student registration materials.

Individuals who wish to enroll as limited status students in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering Distance Education Network should visit for information and to determine eligibility.

2. Correct or Confirm Your Address

Before you attempt to register for classes, you should correct your address or confirm that it is correct in the university's record system. Visit OASIS (myUSC or, select the change of address service and correct or confirm your address.

3. Meet with Your Academic Adviser to Plan Your Schedule, if Necessary

Academic Advisement

Your adviser can assist you with the selection of courses, D-class clearances and procedures for registration. Please contact your department or school for the appropriate academic adviser. See Academic Advisers for a current listing.

Choosing Your Courses

Use Web Registration to plan your fall course schedule. A Final Examinations Schedule Worksheet is provided to help with schedule planning and to help avoid time conflicts during final exams.

4. Contact Your Department and Arrange for “D” Clearance and/or Prerequisite Waivers

Classification and Numbering of Courses

The first digit of the course number indicates the year level of the course: 000 – preparatory courses, 100 – first undergraduate year, 200 – second undergraduate year, 300 – third and fourth undergraduate years without graduate credit, 400 – third and fourth undergraduate years with graduate credit for graduate students, 500 – first graduate year, 600 – second graduate year, 700 – third graduate year.

The lower case letters ab, abcd, etc., indicate the semesters of a course more than one semester in length. In such courses the a semester is usually prerequisite to the b semester, and so on. Capital L indicates that all or part of the work is supervised laboratory or other work. Courses designated x are restricted in some manner. The course description will specify the restriction. Courses designated with a z are for repeated registrations for 0 credit, for which two units of tuition are charged.

Undergraduates are expected to give priority to courses that fulfill the general lower-division requirements. It is recommended that students register in courses appropriate to their academic standing – lower-division students in courses below 300, upper-division students in courses below 500, graduate students in courses numbered 400 or higher.

The following are not available for graduate credit: courses numbered 00-399, courses designated g (general education), Senior Seminar courses, courses designated x where the description specifically excludes graduate credit.

Diversity Requirement Courses

Courses with a lower case m for multiculturalism following the course number have been approved for credit in fulfilling the university diversity requirement.

Preparatory Courses

Preparatory courses (courses numbered below 100) impart the minimum skills required for college-level work. Students completing preparatory course work may receive unit credit, but do not receive degree credit.

“D” and “R” Designations

Class numbers with an “R” designation are restricted by the size of the classroom. “D” classes are restricted by the department offering the course and require the student to obtain “D” class assignments from the home department prior to registering. Departments reserve the right to change class sections from “R” to “D” at any time. The following schools or departments change all of their “R” classes to “D” on the first day of classes: American Studies, Arts and Letters, all undergraduate Business classes, Economics, English and Mathematics.

5. Clear Any Restrictions Indicated on the Permit to Register

A university office may place a registration restriction on a student’s account if the student has a pending obligation with the office. You should clear any restriction that prohibits registration before your registration appointment.

Activity Restrictions

Academic Advisement Requirement (see the department of your major)

Academic Review/Disqualification, Trojan Hall 101, (213) 740-7741

Admission, Ronald Tutor Campus Center 202, or home department (graduate or international) (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

American Language Institute, Jefferson Building 206, (213) 740-0079

Collection Restriction, University Collections, Parking Structure B, (213) 740-9087

Dornsife College Advising Office, College Academic Services Building 120, (213) 740-2534

Degree Verification, Hubbard Hall 106, (213) 740-7445

Graduate School, Grace Ford Salvatori Hall 315, (213) 740-9033

USC Housing/Residence Halls, Parking Structure X, 620 USC McCarthy Way, (213) 740-2546

*International Students, Student Union 300, (213) 740-2666

Leave of Absence (see the department of your major)

Library Hold (see appropriate library)

Probation/Academic Review, Trojan Hall 101, 740-7741

Registrar, Office of Academic Records and Registrar, Hubbard Hall 104 (these restrictions must be cleared in person)

Structured Curriculum Program, Student Union 301, (213) 740-0776

Student Affairs, Student Union 201, 740-2421

Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards, Student Union 206, (213) 821-7373

Student Financial Services (loan restrictions), Parking Structure B, (213) 740-4077

**Student Health Center 100, (213) 740-5344

Writing Program, Jefferson Building 150, (213) 740-1980

*Office of International Services, Student Union 300
All international students must obtain clearance from the Office of International Services in order to drop courses. The Citizenship and Immigration Service requires foreign students to take a minimum of 12 units as undergraduates, 8 units as master’s degree students and 6 units as doctoral students or a research or teaching assistant.

**Student Health Center 100
Mandatory Measles and Mumps Immunization Policy: The university requires all students to show proof of measles and mumps immunity prior to registering for classes. A photocopy documenting one of the following will serve as proof of immunity:

  1. Documentation (month and year) of receiving two doses of the combination MMR vaccine OR two doses of measles vaccine and two doses of mumps vaccine;
  2. Documentation of a positive measles “Rubeola” titer and mumps titer (laboratory blood test);
  3. Documentation from a physician or clinic indicating a past diagnosis of the disease(s).

All documentation must include an official signature or stamp from the physician or clinic. The first dose of Measles, Mumps or MMR vaccines must be given after the student's first birthday and the second given a minimum of four weeks after the first dose.

Students born prior to January 1, 1957 are considered immune and will automatically be listed as exempt from the Measles and Mumps requirement. All documentation must be submitted to Immunization/Screening, 849 W. 34th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0311 by the deadline.

Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening Policy: All International Students are required to be screened for tuberculosis in the United States or Canada within six months prior to their first semester of enrollment at USC. See Tuberculosis Screening Requirement for further information.

6. Log in to Web Registration to Enroll in Classes or Change Program

In-person Registration — Registration Building

If you are unable to use Web Registration, report to this location. Present Permit to Register and Request for Student Program forms at this location.

Registration Confirmation Copies

All enrollment, tuition and fee information is available on OASIS by selecting the Registered Course List and services. The official Registration Confirmation is only available as a hard copy in the Registration Building.

Change of Program (Withdraw and Add)

After registering for a course, it is a student's responsibility to withdraw officially from the course if he/she decides not to continue in it. Students should use Web Registration to drop or add courses. Forms for withdrawing and/or adding courses are available in the Registration Building. Students may also print copies from the registration Website at

Students can withdraw from a course without academic penalty during the first 12 weeks of the semester. Any course withdrawn between the fourth and 12th week of classes appears as mark of “W” on the academic transcript. No course may be withdrawn after the end of the 12th week. All such changes must be processed through Web Registration or the Registration Department. Failure to withdraw officially will result in the grade of “UW,” which is computed in the GPA as zero (0) grade points. See Change of Program/Petition Actions and Withdrawal/Tuition Refund Policy under Tuition and Fees for additional information.

Financial aid recipients should consult with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing from courses in order to assess the potential effect on the student’s financial aid eligibility. Also, withdrawing and adding courses may cancel any financial aid deferment previously granted on a student’s account. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office to have the account re-deferred.

Note: No course may be added after September 9; this deadline will be strictly enforced.

7. Obtain USCard, Purchase Parking Permit and Other Services to be Added to Your Student Account

USCard –

Get your USCard student ID by visiting and submitting your image online. You will pick up your ID at one of the USCard customer service centers, located in Parking Structure X (PSX) on the University Park campus or in the Seaver Residence Hall (SRH) lobby on the Health Sciences campus. Don't forget to register your card online at Just click on Student Login.

Through our Website, you can deposit discretionary funds to your USCard, which is accepted at the USC Bookstores, Ticket Office, Pharmacy, all USC Hospitality venues, USC Libraries and computer labs. Need more information? Watch the online videos at or contact USCard at (213) 740-8709 or

Health Insurance–Student Health Insurance Office, 649 W. 34th Street (PSD) (Fall 2012)

See Tuition and Fees.

Housing–Parking Structure X (PSX)

You may complete an application, or find information regarding housing online at or in person at the Housing Services office in PSX on the ground floor. Students with restriction holds on their USC accounts for financial, academic or conduct issues may be unable to apply for housing. Please see the Cashier’s Office or your academic adviser, if necessary.

You may also contact Housing by email at or by phone at (800) 872-4632 or (213) 740-2546.

Parking Permits at USC – PSX First Floor, 620 McCarthy Way

(213) 740-3575,

USC Transportation issues parking permits for on-campus lots and structures. University Park campus parking lots and costs include the following:

  • On-campus parking structures PS1, PS2, PSA, PSB, PSD, PSX: daily – $8, monthly – $92, carpool monthly – $67
  • Off-campus USC Parking Center: daily – $5, monthly – $51
  • Shrine Auditorium parking (Jefferson Blvd. and Royal St.): daily – $7, monthly – $85
  • Coliseum parking includes 39th St. and Vermont Ave.; State St. and Figueroa Blvd.; Hoover St. and King Blvd.: monthly – $70 (*No overnight/weekend parking). Fees are subject to change. All rates include 10% Los Angeles Parking Occupancy Tax. Contact the USC Transportation Office for the most current pricing.

USC Bus Service

(213) 740-3575,

USC provides transportation to and from off-campus housing, campus parking areas, the Health Sciences campus and Union Station. This service is provided at no charge to students, faculty, staff and campus visitors. For information about the USC bus service, bus schedules and list of routes, or links with information about transportation options in the Los Angeles area, please visit the Transportation Website or contact the Transportation Office.

Campus Cruiser

UPC: (213) 740-4911
HSC: (323) 442-2100

The Campus Cruiser service provides a "safe ride home" for all students, staff, faculty and campus visitors. Services run every day from 6 p.m. to 2:45 a.m. during the fall, 5 p.m. to 2:45 a.m. during the spring, and 6 p.m. to 12:45 a.m. during the summer. Please note that Campus Cruiser does not operate during university holidays.

El Rodeo (Yearbook)

Students may pre-order/purchase copies of El Rodeo using either USCard discretionary or credit card through the yearbook Website (

8. Obtain Health Insurance Waiver if Appropriate

Mandatory health insurance for students on the University Park campus may be waived if documented proof of health coverage from another plan is presented that meets all waiver requirements. The waiver must be submitted using the online waiver program by the deadline date. See for more information.

9. Financial Aid Disbursement Requirements

Financial aid applicants should satisfy all the disbursement requirements for each program early enough to ensure their funds will be available by the payment deadline of August 24, 2012. Visit for detailed information. Be sure to check your USC email account regularly for financial aid-related notices.

In general, for students who have met all disbursement requirements, most financial aid funds will be credited to student accounts within 10 days prior to the start of the semester.

Graduate Assistantships

In addition to the paid stipend, graduate assistantships cover a specified amount of tuition plus health center, medical and dental insurance fees. You are responsible for paying any other charges by the settlement deadline.

There are two possible reasons tuition or health-related awards may not appear on the registration confirmation:

  • You are not registered for at least six graduate units of credit or in a course that confers full-time status (such as GRSC 800 or a 794a-z course). Graduate assistants must be registered for GRSC 800 or a 794a-z course, or a minimum of six graduate units for credit.
  • The department has not yet entered the health-related award or the tuition in the Student Information System. In this case, please contact the department offering you the graduate assistant position as soon as possible.

Please contact your department if you experience any difficulties with your assistantship.

10. Federal Perkins Loan, HPSL, LDS, PCL and Institutional Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Perkins Loan, Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), Loan for Disadvantaged Students (LDS), Primary Care Loan (PCL) or a USC institutional loan and you are a new borrower at USC, you will receive instructions for completing a Promissory Note electronically at your USC email address prior to the beginning of the academic year. A new Promissory Note is required every academic year for HPSL, LDS, PCL and USC loans. You will receive an email notification at the start of each academic year.

If you have any questions regarding these loans, please call the Student Financial Services Office at (213) 740-4077.

11. Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

If your financial aid eligibility includes a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds.

12. Graduate Students: Complete Necessary Steps to Apply for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

If you are borrowing a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds.

13. Undergraduates: Ensure Parents Complete Necessary Steps to Apply for Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

If your parent is borrowing a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan to help cover your expenses, you must complete the application steps detailed at to ensure proper receipt of your funds.

14. Apply for USC Payment Plan or Tuition Reimbursement Deferment at Student Financial Services

A new plan is required each term.

The USC Payment Plan allows you to divide your tuition and fees over five monthly payments for one semester. Payments for the fall semester will start August 1, 2012. The Payment Plan does not charge interest but there is an application fee to participate. Plan information and application forms are available on the Student Financial Services Website, For additional information, contact Student Financial Services at (213) 740-4077. You may access the Payment Plan menu by logging in to OASIS and selecting "Payment Plan." If you are a dental or MBM.PM student, visit our Website for specific payment plan information.

Tuition Reimbursement Deferment

In order to participate in the program you must have your supervisor or personnel officer write a memo on company stationery stating that you are employed by that company and will be reimbursed for tuition at the end of the term. A NEW LETTER IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEMESTER.

You are required to pay 25 percent of your tuition PLUS 100 percent of all fees, including lab fees, plus a non-refundable service charge of 4 percent of the deferment amount. The balance of your tuition will be deferred until April 25, 2012. Interest is not charged during the deferment period. If your account is not paid when due, it will be subject to additional finance charges.

You will be required to sign a promissory note in order to receive the deferment. If you do not pay for the deferment by the due date, collection efforts will proceed against YOU, NOT YOUR EMPLOYER. Failure to complete the class or your termination from the company from which you expect to receive tuition reimbursement in no way nullifies this agreement. You are responsible for paying the deferment regardless of your grade(s) or employment status.

15. Settle Your Bill (Cashier’s Office)

Important Dates and Information

August 24, 2012, 5 p.m. – Settlement deadline. All students must register and settle their bills entirely by this date and time to avoid late fees.

September 14, 2012 – Last day to withdraw from classes with refund. Last day to purchase or waive health insurance. Last day to purchase or waive tuition refund insurance.

Note: USC does not mail printed monthly billing statements to students. Students must use to review their monthly statements. For more information, visit

You may pay your bill via the Internet (, by mail or in person. If you are paying by mail, be sure to mail your payment early enough for the university to receive it by the settlement deadline. allows you to manage your student account online. You can pay your tuition and fees by transferring funds from your savings or checking account, or by charging to your American Express, VISA, MasterCard or Discover card. You can also print e-receipts and view your billing statements or current account information. In addition, you can set up individual guest user access for parents or anyone else you choose so they can make payments on your account. For more information, visit To access your account, log in to OASIS ( or myUSC ( and select the link.

For account information or inquiries, please call (213) 740-7471, or if you reside outside of Southern California, please call toll free (800) 225-1222.

More detailed information about student accounts, settlement options and procedures is available on the Web at

American Express, VISA, MasterCard and Discover Card

You should present the credit card (and parent’s written authorization if the card is not in your name), as well as a valid driver’s license. Presentation of any credit card does not constitute payment of tuition and fees. Authorization must be obtained from the credit card institution in order to be posted to the student account. Declined authorizations are your responsibility. See Late Fees and Billing Information.

Credit cards must be used by the authorized signer on the bank card used for payment toward the university student account. If a bank card transaction is disallowed by the bank, the student account will be subject to the “Returned Item” penalties noted here.

Tuition Prepayment Program (TPP)

This option offers individuals the opportunity to stabilize tuition costs by avoiding future tuition increases. Under this plan, the university will accept the prepayment of the student’s total USC tuition plus mandatory fees at the current tuition rate for up to the next four to five years. For further information, contact Student Financial Services, (213) 740-4077, or visit us at and select payment options. The student must be admitted to the university before a tuition prepayment account may be established.

Cashier’s Short Term Deferment

Thirty-day deferments are granted for up to $2,000 of the tuition balance. You must take three or more units (or the equivalent) to receive any type of deferment. There is a non-refundable service charge of 5 percent of the deferred amount, due at the time the deferment is granted, in addition to the remaining billing balance.

The number of units for which tuition is charged is generally the same as the number of academic units indicated after each course in the Schedule of Classes. However, some courses with no academic credit require payment of tuition. Most classes with course numbers ending in z (e.g., 594z and 794z) require two units of tuition. GRSC 800 and GRSC 810 each require one unit of tuition.

In sessions offering different tuition rates or mandatory fees for undergraduate and graduate students, the student’s Program of Study (POST) will determine the tuition rate and fees to be charged. Students with more than one active POST will be charged as undergraduate students if at least one POST is designated as undergraduate.


If you have a credit balance on your account, you may be eligible for a refund. If the credit balance is the result of a credit card payment combined with reduced charges and/or financial aid or loan advances, we will first refund the credit card used for payment up to the amount that was charged. Any credit balance remaining after that can be refunded to you by check (mailed to you) or direct deposit at your request. Please visit for more information and forms.

If you are on the USC Payment Plan, you are not eligible for a refund while you're making payments through the Payment Plan. You will have to adjust your payment plan budget amount to reduce/eliminate the credit balance. Please visit for more information and forms.