collapse allexpand all
Performance (Vocal Arts) (MPVA)
- D class assignments available in TMC200; phone (213) 740-4721.
- Students accepted into a graduate program must take entrance examinations prior to their first registration. Any deficiencies revealed must be removed prior to completion of two semesters of course work. Transferring undergraduate students registering for the first time who have previous course work must take the appropriate examination for placement. Contact the Thornton School Office of Student Affairs for information. INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION - 1 unit has a $350 fee, and includes 7.5 hours of total instruction. 2 units has a $700 fee, and includes 15 hours of total instruction. Contact school for course level guide.
Exploration of the physiology and acoustics of the human singing voice in a group setting, with an emphasis on musical theatre repertoire.
- Note: For Musical Theatre majors only.
|46318D||001||Lecture||11:00-12:50pm||Thursday||14 of 20||Karen Parks||MUS106|
Introduction to the fundamental principles of singing: breath control, tone production, diction, and the use of appropriate song material.
|46320R||001||Lecture||10:00-11:50am||Wednesday||11 of 12||Lynn Helding||MUS208|
|46321R||001||Lecture||6:00-7:50pm||Thursday||10 of 12||Lynn Helding||MUS208|
12 of 12
|46323R||001||Lecture||4:00-5:50pm||Thursday||11 of 12||Lynn Helding||MUS208|
Use of dramatic techniques in the interpretation and performance of music; basic acting techniques for the operatic and recital stages; sensory exercises, movement, improvisation, relaxation and make-up. Recommended preparation: MPVA 153
|46340D||001||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Monday||10 of 20||Ken Cazan||BMH100|
Weekly individual instruction and vocal performance forum.
- Note: As part of ReDesign transition, sophomore individual instruction now includes performance class.
|46360D||001||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Friday||6 of 25||Lisa Sylvester||MUS106|
Intermediate and advanced instruction: secondary emphasis for music majors, principal emphasis for music minors and all B.A. music majors. Open only to music majors and minors.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following major(s): Bassoon, Choral Music, Clarinet, Classical Guitar, Composition, Composition (Film Scoring), Double Bass, Electroacoustic Media, Flute, French Horn, Harp, Harpsichord, Jazz Studies, Jazz Studies (Vocal), Music, Music Education, Music Industry, Music Recording, Oboe, Organ, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone, Studio Guitar, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Viola, Violin, Violoncello, Vocal Arts
|46385D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||1 of 20||Lisa Sylvester||RHM112|
|46388D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||22 of 50||Lynn Helding||RHM112|
|46391D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||18 of 30||Mike Scheibe||MUS416|
|46394D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||14 of 15||Karen Parks||RHM112|
Performance class for singers and pianists; analysis of recitatives, arias, and ensembles of various operatic styles; study of the technique of effective musical delivery. By audition only.
|46426D||001||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Wednesday||0 of 12||Brent McMunn||TMCG156|
Preparation, rehearsal, and performance of operatic works and excerpts; study of different operatic styles; public appearances. By audition only.
|46429D||001||Lecture||4:00-10:50pm||MWF||2 of 40||Brent McMunn,||MUS105|
Secondary instruction for graduate music majors or instruction for graduate non-music majors.
|46495D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||6 of 20||Lisa Sylvester||RHM112|
|46498D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||9 of 30||Lynn Helding||RHM112|
|46501D||001||Lecture||TBA||TBA||11 of 25||Mike Scheibe||MUS416|
Voice physiology, both classical and non-classical vocal techniques, voice hygiene, advanced voice acoustics, survey of literature from expertise studies, and the cognitive substrates of motor learning.
|46513D||001||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Wednesday||13 of 15||Lynn Helding||MUS303|
A review of the rules of pronunciation, International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and grammatical structure of the Italian language through the texts of select repertoire in both Italian song and operatic arias.
8 of 8
|MUS208||Word (23173 KB)|