collapse allexpand all
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology (MICB)
- D class assignments for undergraduates available; phone (323) 442-2337.
- D class assignments for graduate students available; phone (323) 442-2337.
- Registration only upon permission of the department concerned. D class assignments are assigned by the academic department.
Survey of microorganisms which cause human infectious diseases including mechanisms of pathogenesis, principles of antibiotic usage, pertinent microbial genetics. Lectures, laboratories, and demonstrations. Prereq: one year general biology; one semester biochemistry.
4 of 1
Epidemiology, pathobiology, carcinogenesis, tumor biology and heterogeneity, retroviruses, oncogenes, cell cycle control, genetics of cancer, tumor immunology, treatment strategies.
- Crosslist: This course is offered by the INTD department but may qualify for major credit in MICB. To register, enroll in INTD 504.
|40654D||046||Lecture||3:00-4:50pm||Mon, Wed||17 of 40||Martin Kast,|
Myron Goodman,Axel Schonthal,
Overview of microbes, their life cycles and the host responses they elicit, evade or exploit, including the manipulation and the malfunction of the immune system.
- Crosslist: This course is offered by the INTD department but may qualify for major credit in MICB. To register, enroll in INTD 522.
|40652D||046||Lecture||9:00-10:50am||Tue, Thu||23 of 100||Jie Li,|
Virus structure and chemistry; virus-cell interactions; aspects of virus genetics; molecular biology; pathogenesis, immunology, and evolution of viral infections.
Microbiology students will present research seminars describing their thesis progress.
|40712D||046||Lecture||11:00-11:50am||Wednesday||13 of 75||Axel Schonthal||OFFICE|
Macromolecular processes and their regulation in procaryotics; DNA replication, transcription, and post-transcriptional events in general and as related to operons, phage biology, and eucaryotic organelles.
|40743D||046||Lecture||9:00-11:00am||Mon, Wed||0 of 50||Stanley Tahara,|
Intensive examination of selected topics in microbiology. Student presentations and critiques. Required of all graduate students.
|40719D||046||Lecture||12:00-12:50pm||Wednesday||6 of 75||Hayoun Lee,|
Critical discussion of current research topics. Students present published and unpublished research results for discussion and critique. Prerequisite: Current enrollment in Microbiology Ph.D. program.
- Restriction: Registration closed to the following major(s): Microbiology
- Restriction: Registration closed to the following class level(s): Doctoral Student
|40722D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||17 of 25||Axel Schonthal||OFFICE|
|40723D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40724D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40725D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40727D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40728D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40729D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40730D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
|40731D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 25||OFFICE|
Mammalian organ systems operation during health, and pathophysiologic analysis of related diseases with focus on muscle, respiratory, cardiovascular and renal systems. Faculty from basic and clinical sciences. Open to graduate students in biomedical science only.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Master Student, Doctoral Student
- Restriction: Registration open to the following school(s): Keck School of Medicine, School of Pharmacy
- Crosslist: This course is offered by the INTD department but may qualify for major credit in MICB. To register, enroll in INTD 572.
|40653R||018||Lecture||TBA||TBA||1 of 5||TBA|
Research leading to the Master's Degree. Maximum units which may be applied to the degree to be determined by the department. Graded CR/NC.
|40741D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||7 of 75||Axel Schonthal||OFFICE|
Credit on acceptance of thesis. Graded IP/CR/NC.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Master Student
|40744D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||1 of 75||Axel Schonthal||OFFICE|
Research leading to the doctorate. Maximum units which may be applied to the degree to be determined by the department. Graded CR/NC.
|40753D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 75||Stanley Tahara||OFFICE|
Credit on acceptance of dissertation. Graded IP/CR/NC.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Doctoral Student
|40756D||046||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 75||Stanley Tahara||OFFICE|