Music History and Literature (MUHL)
- D class assignments available in LPB200; phone 740-4721.
- Music courses change to "D" on the second week of classes and require departmental approval. Students accepted into a graduate program must take entrance examinations prior to their first registration. Any deficiencies revealed must be removed prior to completion of two semesters of course work. Transferring undergraduate students registering for the first time who have previous course work must take the appropriate examination for placement. Contact the Thornton School Office of Student Affairs for information. INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION - 1 unit has a $350 fee, and includes 7.5 hours of total instruction. 2 units has a $700 fee, and includes 15 hours of total instruction. Contact school for course level guide.
A study of the musical styles and genres from antiquity to c. 1680 within their historical context. Detailed analysis of selected works.
|44011D||Lecture||10:00-11:20am||Mon, Wed||19 of 35||Leah Morrison||CSSG156|
|44012D||Lecture||10:00-11:20am||Mon, Wed||23 of 35||Rotem Gilbert||UUCB2|
Gateway to the B.A. degree in music. Western and non-Western music in its socio-cultural context. Not available for credit to B.M. majors. Ability to read music highly recommended.
|44022D||Lecture||2:00-3:20pm||Mon, Wed||52 of 60||Ian Pritchard||UUCB2|
A study of the musical styles and genres from c. 1850 to the present within their historical context. Detailed analysis of selected works. Recommended preparation: MUCO 232b and MUCO 233b
38 of 38
|44025D||Lecture||10:00-11:20am||Tue, Thu||36 of 38||Bruce Brown||CSSG156||Word (113152 KB)|
Individual research and readings. Not available for graduate credit.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Junior, Senior
|44057D||Lecture||TBA||TBA||0 of 10||Joanna Demers||MUS308|
Introduction to music research, information science, and technical writing. Required of all graduate students majoring in music.
|44069D||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Monday||19 of 21||Mina Yang||MUS102B|
23 of 23(2 on waitlist)
|44073D||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Thursday||19 of 21 (3 on waitlist)||Stephanie Bonjack||MUS102B|
|44075D||Lecture||4:00-5:50pm||Wednesday||20 of 21||Leah Morrison||UUCB2|
12 of 12(1 on waitlist)
Music problems and composers of the period. Specific emphasis to be determined by the department.
- Prerequisite: MUHL 570
|44119D||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Wednesday||24 of 25 (3 on waitlist)||Bryan Simms||MUS303|
|44120D||Lecture||12:00-1:50pm||Tuesday||21 of 25 (2 on waitlist)||Tim Page||MUS102B|
|44121D||Lecture||5:00-6:50pm||Thursday||13 of 25||Tracy McMullen||MUS303|
Credit on acceoptance of thesis. Graded IP/CR/NC.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Master Student
|44131D||Lecture||TBA||TBA||3 of 5||Joanna Demers||MUS308|
Close study of musical repertories and issues (particularly ones transcending period divisions), with emphasis on recent scholarship and methodologies.
- Prerequisite: MUHL 570
- Note: Musical Biography
|44145D||Lecture||5:00-7:50pm||Tuesday||9 of 15||Mina Yang||MUS319|
Credit on acceptance of dissertation. Graded IP/CR/NC.
- Restriction: Registration open to the following class level(s): Doctoral Student
|44175D||Lecture||TBA||TBA||1 of 10||Joanna Demers||MUS308|
Information accurate as of 3/8/2012 10:02 PM.